Firstly, as a former warfighter, I don’t advocate violence. Violence is always the wrong answer. However, the current state of human experience dictates that we must be prepared in the event violence is brought upon us. To not be ready, as a parent or head of household, is irresponsible, in my opinion.
The latest from TSF Films, an instructional on how to zero the sights on a semi-automatic rifle. Originally lensed in October, 2014 after the purchase of my first civilian rifle following 23-years as a combat Soldier, I immediately shelved the project. Firearms are done to death on YouTube. I feel it’s the domain of others like NutnFancy, Sootch, Hickok45, and the like. The subject has been covered ad nauseam.
I left it alone for two years. Then I started learning other things, which I want to discuss in subsequent episodes. This obligated me to dust this project off because it’s the basis of the topic. Zeroing sights is the foundation on which a marksman builds his or her skills. In the dog-eat-dog world of social media armchair quarterbacks, I was obligated to start at the beginning.
Now that it’s a thing, an official episode, I feel it’s surprisingly relevant for the beginning marksman in light of dangers facing virtually everyone these days. Suffice to say, it’s not your normal how-to. It’s detailed, results oriented, no-nonsense instruction. And the production value is pretty good compared to most .
As an artist, this project allowed me to put my Sony cameras and Canon FD lenses through their paces. I wanted this piece to have a big movie feel to it. I think I achieved that towards the second half of the piece. It was also the first project where I did an entire sound mix in Adobe Audition. I learned a lot on this one.
A Sony A6000 was my A-camera and a Sony NEX-5N was my B-camera. Sound was captured using a Zoom H1, which needed major sweetening in Adobe Audition CC. Surprisingly, the tiny wind sock eliminated a ton of wind noise compared to the on-camera mics. Me thinks the sound mix didn’t translate well to the YouTube upload, though.
The movie was edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 and includes some After Effects work. Color was through Premiere using Fast Color Corrector and Lumetri Color, specifically, REDLOGFILM – SL – PROFILE. I liked how it turned out. I hope you do, too.
PLEASE LIKE, SHARE, AND SUBSCRIBE!!!